Sunday, February 1, 2009


So it's Tuesday and midday I have this 'bit of something' in my mouth. Dang, a chunk of tooth! By early evening I'm in pain like I haven't been since the birth of my daughter (27 hrs of active labor). Uh-oh!

I call home because I have meetings at which I need to speak at 6 and 8pm and can't spend time on the phone with my dentist.

T calls back - dentist is out of town, and the guy who is taking his calls isn't answering!


My gf and colleague CopperPom to the rescue! She leaps into action and calls her dentist who agrees that if I can be there first thing in the morning, they'll find a way to see me. THANK YOU!

A few small hurdles...
1) Speaking that night, enthusiasticly, loudly, clearly. I couldn't wait to get through it as the pain reached from my ear to my neck, but I did.
2) Wednesday morning brought us a big snow storm and I was too dizzy to drive myself. Enter a dear friend who came from the southwest side of the city to drive me to Mt Clemens; a 1 hr trip that took 2 hrs and 15 min.

The Goddess of a dentist who saw me (thanks again, CopperPom!) and her assistant tell me I have an infection in the nerve, along the whole left lower arch.

She knew just what to do and has referred me to a endodontic specialist for a procedure (Monday). She also put me on antibiotics and Vicodin. Of course, finding out after two days of excruciating nerve pain that I am sensitive to Vicodin (which I'd never been on before) also meant that I had really been without any pain or infection relief since this little ordeal began... nothing was being digested and the infection was running free.

I tried to go to work on Thursday to no avail (of course that's when I discovered this little 'no-go' on the meds) and was sent home before I passed out, which I did - thankfully AFTER getting home and 'being sick' too.

I had to "reset" the meds, going without them for more additional hours than I want to recall. I switched to advil, eh, not so good. They kicked in Friday afternoon, thank the Gods!

Yesterday was the first time I've felt particularly human for more than an hour at a stretch. The swelling in my jaw is down so I look human now rather than half-chipmunkesque. Eating isn't anything to which I look forward, though I do it - gently, and being out in the cold sets off nerve pain, like wow. :(

I managed an appearance out of the house last night though I wasn't the best company (even talking hurts sometimes). I have episodes of break-through pain that last 10-30 min. because the only pain relief I have is from advil.

Today will be a big deal as I venture out with a friend to my very first Super Bowl Party! My meds will be close at hand and I'm not doing any driving or drinking so I have high hopes that this will be a good time - as long as I don't talk too much or get too cold.

Monday will bring sweet relief in the form of a nerve block and root canal. My SIL had this procedure done just a week ago and felt much the same. I'm taking her at her word that this isn't a difficult procedure, esp when done by a specialist, which I am. She may not be aware, but her energy is supporting me through something I find terrifying. I thank her for that strength. Thanks, Sharon!

Wish me luck! I hope to be pain free and back to work on Tuesday!

No comments: