Monday, September 1, 2008

"You don't know what you've got til it's gone....

they pave paradise and put up a parking lot."

Or in my case: You work on the weekends (Sundays in particular) for 30 years of your life as a teacher. Then you work random times and days through the weekends as a retail sales associate.

I was rarely confronted with an issue that had me resenting my Sunday classes. I didn't know what I was missing 'cause I never really missed it (except annually on Mother's Day). I had a fine parking lot and I didn't know any better.

In retail I knew right away that I wanted the flexibility to be home when my kids were home. Much of that meant weekend days/evenings, but I could only ask for so many of those off. It was really tough some days, to confess to the kids that I had to work - almost always smack in the middle of the time they wanted to do something with me.

Of course it was a good lesson for them to see and learn. Work is a neccessity, not a convenience, and you just have to roll with the punches and do your job. But I was beginning to remember paradise and to resent the parking lot.

Since getting my new job I have my weekends OFF. Wow, what a difference. NOW I know what I've been missing! The concrete has broken, fresh rain water is getting to those neglected roots, and the flowers are growing towards the beckoning call of sunshine.

Last weekend I went out on Saturday night and had fun. This weekend I went to the Detroit Grand Prix with Joshua all day Saturday and went out yet again with friends on Sun/Mon. Just came home this evening.

Dare I say it? I feel positively... human!

No comments: